Friday, February 1, 2008

Weekend Plans

I just got done emailing Uncle Eric and I figured I'd post a new message since I'm just sitting at home for the night.

I decided to relax tonight and take it easy because I have a sore throat and a runny nose and my legs are full of bruises from falling down the stairs. Oh, and the weather is terrible and rainy.

And after calling around, it seems like a lot of people are similarly sick (maybe it's going around?) and just staying home. I could go over to a friends house and just watch a movie but I don't even think I feel like doing that.

On Sunday I'm going on my first "cultural excursion" that I signed up for at school. We have to meet really early and a bus will take us to the Champagne region of France. I'm excited for this because I like champagne better than wine. I'll be sure to post lots of pictures.

This is what it said on our itinerary sheet:

Sunday, 3 February 2008

08h00 bus departs 31, ave Bosquet for Reims
10h45 Tour and tasting at Lallement
12h45 Group lunch at Le Jéroboam
14h45 Departure for Pommery Champagne House
15h00 Tour and tasting at Pommery
16h30 Visit Reims Cathedral
17h00 Depart for Paris
20h00 Arrive back in Paris, 31 avenue Bosquet


So it'll take 3 hours to get there? Fun.



**ATTENTION**: The following three-course lunch with champagne will be served on this trip:

Salade du Pêcheur: Saumon Fumé, Chair de Crabe, Crevettes Roses, Asperges, Agrumes.
(Fisherman’s Salad: Salmon, crab, shrimp, asparagus and citrus).

Pavé de Mignon de Porc rôti au Romarin
(Pork with side dish)

Rondeur Chocolatée et sa Tuile Croquante
(Chocolate dessert)


Sounds good to me! I love smoked salmon. I hope I can get a nice bottle of champagne while I'm there, if it's not too pricey. I'm partial to Veuve Clicquot but only because the company's CEO is the woman who wrote the book "French Women Don't Get Fat." Did you know that a drink can only be called champagne if it was made in this specific region of France? Otherwise it's just sparkling white wine.

And tomorrow will probably be bad weather as well, so I think I'd like to go to a museum. It will be crowded since it's Saturday so maybe one of the less popular ones?

I'm also thinking about what I'm going to do for spring break. It's a month away, the first 2 weeks of March, but everyone else seems to have plans already. It's actually nice for me, because since I have no plans, I've received lots of invitations and I can just listen to what everyone else is doing and pick which trip I want to join.

I'm really not interested in going with anyone who is doing a whirlwind tour, visiting, like, 1 country every 2 days. That sounds exhausting and I'd rather relax and spend a longer time exploring one place. Also, I'd prefer not to go with a big group because it's easier to travel with just 1 or 2 people; you're more flexible and independent when you don't have to deal with a lot of people's individual wants and needs. And I want to go with a financially likeminded person who's not going to want 5 star restaurants each night. Oh, and no tagging along with couples. How awkward!

My friend Emily suggested we go to Italy. That sounds good, because there's so much to explore, we can spend the 2 weeks taking our time making our way by train across the country. I do want to go to the south of France eventually, but the beaches may not be warm enough in March.

1 comment:

fearandloatingintelaviv said...

Yeah. Bathrooms-in israel it sounsd like the same as what u said. One room for the toilet, one room for the shower and sink. It's pretty common here.

In jordan the bathrooms are funny- they basically have a basin like a tub with a hole where u squat over it and do you business. there's also a hose to wash off. REVOLTINGGGGGGGG!!!!