Wednesday, February 27, 2008

An Art Student in Paris...

“If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a movable feast.”
-Ernest Hemingway


This week was so exhausting! Between midterms and babysitting, I barely had time to do anything fun

Here are some pictures I painted for painting class...

There's sort of a funny story attached with this one. I painted it a few days ago, in class on Tuesday. We had a substitute teacher; he teaches another painting class. Some of my friends are in that class so they told me stuff about him, like that he was really strange and eccentric. One of my friends said that he likes when students paint whatever they want and do really weird paintings instead of the actual things we're supposed to do.



So we were painting pictures of pink and white flowers, and he was criticizing our paintings, saying that they needed to be more "dynamic." I whispered what my friend had said to another girl in the class about how he only likes weird paintings so just for fun, she started making purple and green stripes through her painting and I painted the black and blue butterfly. And immediately he came over and started praising our paintings for being so dynamic.


This was the very first painting I did for this class.


This was the one I threw together in an hour so I could have something to turn in and always intended to paint over.



This one is based off a picture I took. I like how the background is so murky and grey and the carrousel is so bright and colorful.


The photograph I took:
It looks like a mountain. I use a lot of purple in my paintings...

This was from the day the nude model came to pose for our class. I think my picture came out really well! And more than one person has compared her expression in the painting to the Mona Lisa.

This is supposed to be Kate Moss, but I don't think it really looks like her. I based it off the picture below.

This one. I just liked the beret because it seemed so French.

Oh, these arent paintings, these are pastries I've documented!



This is Satine's house. To the left is one of the many statues.
Satine is 4, almost 5 and Jade is 3.

Julia is Satine's age, and that's her little brother Alexis.

It's already Thursday and I'm leaving for Italy on Sunday morning! Very exciting. All the arrangements have been made, everything taken care of. I think I'll have a lot of different experiences there because the first week I'm going with Emily and we're going to Rome, Florence, and Venice and we're staying in relatively nice accomodations. The second week I'm going to Rome with Serena, and we're doing the grungy hostel thing. The first 4 days we're staying near the Vatican and the last 3 days we're by the Colosseum.

I'm wondering if I should bring my laptop... Also, I need to do a little research on what to do there, what to see, what to buy. Is Rome known for it's olive oil?

1 comment:

fearandloatingintelaviv said...

If you are staying in a hostel DO NOT DO NOT bring the laptop!
Hostels are not known for good security and I have known MORE than one person who had their stuff swiped from a hostel.

DO NOT LEAVE valuables in the hostel or you might not ever see them again!