Friday, February 8, 2008

Oh, Le Pompiers Fou!

Translation: Oh, the crazy firemen!

This week has been interesting. Yesterday after class I met up with Emily and we walked all over the place, trying to find Marc Jacobs. I had looked up the adress and directions ahead of time, but we just couldn't find it! We never even found the street it was on, although we did successfully locate some tasty macaroons... I love the green pistachio kind! SO delicious! My facebook status says that I've discovered that French macaroons are the best food on earth.




Wednesday was my first day of babysitting and I did it again today, on Friday. Julia is almost 5 years old, and she's really cute. She reminds me of a brunette Madeline. Her mother wants me to speak to her only in English, but that is impossible since Julia speaks very little English. I actually feel like my French is improving more than her English, but who knows? It's 10 euros an hour, and it's a good feeling to know that I can make some extra spending money if I find something special I want.

Today, we did pretty much the same thing we did on Wednesday: puzzles, coloring, etc. I was admiring her grandmother's Chanel purse; it's exactly the kind I like, except the strap isn't long enough. The grandma was telling me how she's had it for 15 years and it lasts forever, and if I buy one, to be sure it's not a fake. I actually saw one when I went out with Emily that was 500 euros. I want to get something nice for myself, but I'd rather buy a nice black leather bag big enough for my books for around 50 euros. I don't feel like blowing all my money on a Chanel purse is the way to go, especially with this exchange rate. I don't babysit again until next Friday after class, but the mother needs me a lot the next week, when Julia is on vacation, which will be nice because I can make more money.

I have barely had any homework so far, but next week is going to be really busy. I have to present a case study on Thursday for Human Resource Management class with 4 other girls (my group is made up of all the blonde girls in the class, funnily enough). That wasn't so bad, but I learned today that I will also be presenting independently a project for Entrepreneurship class on Friday! So on the one hand, I'm trying to think positively, that it's good I'm getting these inevitable projects over with. But on the other hand, I'll be so busy since I have such a short amount of time to do the projects in. Also, I have to finish my painting for class on Tuesday. I'm painting a dress, but it has a long way to go.

Wednesday night, I accidentally ended up at a club with Serena! I was hanging out at her place late at night and we decided to walk over to the Champs Elysees, just to get out. We ended up running into 2 Brazilian girls who had randomly met a bunch of English guys, and they were all like, "Hey, do you know where the club is?" We walked with them for a minute, but then decided to go off on our own. But a minute later, we ran into a bunch of young French guys who were pompiers (aka firefighters) and they were like, "Hey, are you going to the discotheque?" So we were like, sure! why not?

So we got there, and it was supposed to be free before 1am because it was "student night" but we were too late. We didn't want to pay the 15 euro cover charge, plus 2 euro coat check so we decided not to go in. It didn't seem worth it. But as we were leaving, the pompier were like, oh why are you leaving? Serena explained in French that we thought it would be free. But it turns out, pompiers can get into clubs for free, so they were like, "hey, come on in with us!" It was great because they saved us 30 euros!

The club itself wasn't that great, which makes me glad we didn't have to pay. The music was techno, which I dislike and don't really know how to dance to. We ended up dancing for a while, didn't meet anyone particularly interesting, and went home. We didn't have class until noon the next day, so it didn't matter that we were out late.

And tomorrow I need to buy groceries and do homework.

No comments: