Friday, January 18, 2008

Life in 68 Rue Boissiere

So the name of the club we went to was Duplex, btw.

Ever since I got here, I seem to be staying up and waking up reallly late. I think that is going to have to change when school starts on Monday. I'm intending on switching around some of my classes but I'm not quite sure how to do it yet.

So anyway, I have been taking the metro everywhere. Yesterday I took it to the Champs Elysees where I went to Zara and Monoprix and a couple other stores. I tried to find the market my host mother told me about but I couldn't find it so I took the metro to ED (pronounced ooh-day) which is a supermarket chain and bought bread, nutella, cheese, soda, and salad. I wanted to buy smoked salmon but it was too expensive. Actually though, later that evening I found that the market across the street had smoked salmon for much cheaper.

I also want to buy more opaque black tights from the drugstore, because on the Champs Elysees they are way overpriced--like 10-12 euros per pair.

Getting home on the metro was difficult... I knew which line I had to get on, but I kept getting on metros that went in the opposite direction from what I wanted.

Once I was home, I was sitting around when I realized I hadn't yet been to Free P Star, which is a clothing store I've heard SO much about. Apparently, Kirsten Dunst went there all the time when she was filming Marie Antoinette. So I took a metro all the way across Paris just to get to the store; I went pretty late too, it was already dark. Free P Star turned out to be this little hole-in-the-wall vintage store with tons of CHEAP clothes. I bought a black felt beret for 3 euros---at Le Galeries Lafayette they were 11 euros. They had a ton of fur coats for cheap too. The cheapest one I saw was only 30 euros! Most of them were around 50-60 euros. I was tempted to shop for one, but how will I take it home? It probably wont fit in my luggage and I won't be able to wear it once the weather warms up.

Later in the evening, on my way home, I took a detour to go to the spot on Avenue President Wilson where everyone takes pictures of the Eiffel Tower. It was really deserted, which was good, and after a few minutes the hourly light show started.

Paris really is the City of Light. As much as I like it during the daytime, I think it is even more beautiful at night.

No comments: