Sunday, January 13, 2008

J'ARRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am finally here!!!! After many hours on the plane, I am living in Paris. This is only my second day here but I already feel that I am getting to know the city and starting to find my way around. I've gotten lost a few times, but now I feel that I know the area around where I live pretty well. My map has been SOOO useful, although it's a dead giveaway I'm a foreigner.

So I took a flight from LAX to Chicago O'Hare and then went on to Charles de Gaulle in France. Window Seats both ways. To CDG there were a bunch of movies playing: Ratatouille, Rush Hour 3, hANNAh Montana. I watched most of Into The Wild because I'd wanted to see it for a while.

Both flights came in early. In Chicago, I met a lot of other students. I met 2 french kids and a lot of American AUP kids. They were pretty nice and friendly. Almost ALL girls. Like, 16 girls and 3 boys.

So once the plane arrived in Paris after about 8 hours, we got our luggage and took a bus to the American University of Paris. We arrived early in the morning, around 10. They kept us busy the entire day, which was totally exhausting. I can't even believe this is only the second day I have been here because we've already had to do so mu8ch stuff!

We checked in, went to a bunch of informational seminars, walked around the area, slept in a hotel the first night. And we shuffled our bags around everywhere for the longest time. (HEAVY)!! Today we had a very french breakfast at the hotel: evian, fresh squeezed orange juice, gouda cheese, croissants, nutella, etc. For lunch the past 2 days we've been given baguette turkey sandwiches and soda. The soda comes in funny shaaped bottles. I am so close to the Eiffel tower! It can be seen from one of the windows in the apartment! (Not my bedroom, which would have been too good to be true.)

Anyway, early today I took a taxi to my host family's apartment. They live in a gorgeous, very posh area in the 16th arroindissement. It's on the 5th floor, but there's an elevator. It's an older couple, Madame and Monseuir Egnell, who have housed many AUp students. Their 33 year old son, Stephan, also lives with them. (He got me connected to the internet.)

I took a french placement test today and am quite sure I placed in the beginners class. I walked to and from my homestay apartment and school several times throughout the day. The first 2 times, I got slightly lost, but the last time I found it no problem. Actually, the first time I was on the correct street but walked the opposite direction and found myself at this incredible view. It was teeming with tourists and people taking pictures: the classic view of the Eiffel tower you always see on postcards! I was standing the the spot where you have a beautiful view of it. I was in a hurry to get back to school so I didnt stay long.

I took the metro for the first time today- seems pretty confusing. I was never too good with subways. We went in a big group so I just followed everyone but if I went by myself, I know I'd have to pay closer attention.

Nothing has been stolen from me! Hurray, a victory! I found out I CAN in fact open a bank account here, but its a lot of paperwork and may cost money to transfer money over from my citibank account. My goup and our student advisor went to dinner tonight at a Crepe place. My advisor is named Catalina, she is from Switzerland and she's been great so far! Very welcoming and friendly and helpful and funny. We stayed at the crepe place for HOURS, I was almost falling asleep.

People seem to drink wine at every meal! I've tried white wine and red wine, but I most prefer white wine mixed with sprite. We went to a small pub on the Champs Elysees after dinner, which was beautifully lit at night. It gets pretty cold here, but my jackets are warm. The pus was packed so we didn't stay there long. Now I am here in my room ready to go to bed.

I dont have to be at school until noon tomorrow so I can sleep in!! I'm buying a cell phone sim card tomorrow. I wanted to get one today, but its closed on Sunday. Many students purchased one yesterday, when we first arrived, but I did not have any euros on me at the time.

I was pleased to note that my attire seemed to blend in perfectly with what the native parisians were wearing. I did my research!-- artfully knotted scarves, boots, and black black black.

I already feel like I've seen so much of the city, and yet there are miles more to explore.

No comments: