Saturday, January 19, 2008

Black stilletos are no match for the cobbled streets of Paris

So last night the school had this event called a "pub crawl." When I first heard about it, I envisioned small groups of about 6 or 7 students being led around to different bars in the area where we would drink, laugh, and mingle with French natives.

I was so wrong! The school organized it terribly. What could have been a really fun, cool night ended up being a big drag. First, we had to get into groups, which entailed writing your name on a paper and having a colored ribbon tied around your wrist. That took about an hour and the ribbons did nothing. Then, groups started leaving. Me and my friends werent sure which was our group, and neither were a lot of other people so everyone went with the last group, which had like 50 people.

We walked to the metro (no easy task in the shoes I was wearing) and took the metro all the way across Paris for about half an hour until we finally got to the latin quarter. The first pub we went to was okay, it looked like a cave inside. But there were only AUP students, and no french people! The next one was way too crowded, and still, only Americans. By this time, the metro was going to close soon and I didnt want to get stuck all the way across Paris with no way to get home, so I just left with a few people.

Overall, the night was pretty lame, although I did meet some nice AUP students and planned some things with them. If we want to find the fun places to go in paris, we're going to have to find them ourselves.

Today, there's a walking tour of Montmarte, which starts in an hour and a half. I'd better get ready! Montmarte is the artsy, bohemian area of Paris where Johnny Depp lives that has become very touristy. My feet hurt from the heels last night but I'll wear flats today and hopefully be fine.

No comments: